Wednesday, December 22, 2010

First Tasting and Two New Brews in the Can

Monday marked the brewing of the first beer I have brewed on my own and the first of two clone brews that I am doing this week.  I brewed up the Ruination IPA clone and everything went pretty smoothly.  Its sitting in my fermenter in my second bedroom bubbling away as we speak.  This was probably the smoothest brew yet (process-wise) - the final temperature was right in the proper fermentation range and the OG was right on the money at 1.075.  The one thing that I realized I have to work on is the initial steep of the grains.  I usually end up overshooting the proper steeping temperature when I am heating up the brew pot on my electric range.  If I can get the steep temperature to go smoothly, I will pretty much have the process down.  After the batch is done with the initial fermentation, I am going to dry hop it with another 2oz of Centennial hops for a few days, then bottle condition it.  All in all, I think this brew will come out very solid.

Tuesday was another brew day.  My buddy Keith and I brewed up the Ubu clone and got that into a fermenter.  Similar story - the steep temperature was a bit high but everything else was very smooth.  Should be another solid brew once we get it fermented and bottle conditioned. 

We also did our first tasting of our Tripel that we brewed up towards the end of November.  I was quite pleasantly surprised with this one.  Although it seemed more like an Abbey than a Tripel, it was still a really solid Belgian ale.  Very smooth and made you feel nice and warm inside. 

All in all, Mission: Solid Week of Beer has been a great success with two new brews in the can without a hitch, and good initial results on our first tasting of the Tripel.  All I need now is for my Stone Brewery glassware to get here tomorrow! 

Now its time to shift gears a little bit and get geared up for the holidays! :-)

Song of the Day: "Pardon Me" by Incubus (the acoustic version)
Beer of the Day: Fade to Black (Porter) by Left Hand

1 comment:

  1. I just got the fantastic tasting Lake Placid Ubu Ale from my monthly beer club.

    My experience with homebrewing beer is about the same as yours. I am a big fan of English style ales and would really like to clone the Ubu Ale, since I cannot get it here in the Midwest.

    Any recipe hints or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. My email is available on my blog.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete